Sunday, January 3, 2016

Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack

SummarySick of being the only virgin among her friends, Bliss Edwards decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible - a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier. (Via Goodreads.com)

Pages: 255

Release Date: October 15th, 2012

Rating: 4.25/5 Stars

Review:

I started Losing It with extremely high expectations. Not only did my favorite author, Jennifer L. Armentrout, have a blurb on the cover, but I have previously read Cora Carmack's Rusk University series and it is featured as number three on my favorite books of 2015. I cannot say that I was necessarily disappointed with Losing It because the novel was enjoyable, but it was not what I was expecting to read from Cora Carmack. I cannot be too hard on Losing It because it was Cora's first published book. She had two years between Losing It and the first Rusk University novel, All Lined Up, to find her writing style.

While anyone could have developed the plot of Losing It, Cora's writing style really came out in her characters. I found Bliss' character to be rather adorable. Her happy dances reminded me so much of QVC's David Venable who always does a happy dance when he likes the food he is eating. Every time Bliss would do her happy dance, I would picture her doing a David Venable style happy dance. Sometimes it is hard to imagine fictional characters as real people, but Bliss' little quirky dance made her seem more realistic because, lets be real, we all do something dorky when we are happy.

My favorite character in Losing It is Cade, with Hamlet in spot number two. Cade reminded me a lot of Simon Lewis from Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series. Cade was extremely loyal, supportive, and like Simon, he stood no chance with his best friend. I was so excited when I found out that Cade's story is the next book in the companion series, Faking It. I really want Cade to find his match and not be looked over because of a hot British teacher. 

The ending of Losing It was really adorable, but I wish there would have been a little more. I know that Bliss and Garrick will be making appearances in the upcoming companion novels and I just discovered that there is at least one novella featuring the couple; however, *SPOILER ALERT* I wish we could have actually been with the couple when Garrick proposed instead of he simply telling us he would propose tomorrow. *END OF SPOILER ALERT* 

Overall, Losing It was an enjoyable New Adult Contemporary, but it did not quite meet my Cora Carmack standards. However, I am so excited to dive into Cade's story in Faking It where I am hopeful my standards will be met. If you are looking for an addicting, guilty pleasure, New Adult read that features a balance of comedy, romance and lovable characters, I recommend trying Losing It


"Sometimes it's the scary things in life that are the most worthwhile" (136).













(Cora Carmack, Me)
Photo Taken at Comic-Con 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment