Saturday, June 13, 2015

Inspire (The Muse #1) by Cora Carmack

SummaryKalliope lives with one purpose.

To inspire.

As an immortal muse, she doesn’t have any other choice. It’s part of how she was made. Musicians, artists, actors—they use her to advance their art, and she uses them to survive. She moves from one artist to the next, never staying long enough to get attached. But all she wants is a different life— a normal one. She’s spent thousands of years living lie after lie, and now she’s ready for something real.

Sweet, sexy, and steady, Wilder Bell feels more real than anything else in her long existence. And most importantly… he’s not an artist. He doesn’t want her for her ability. But she can’t turn off the way she influences people, not even to save a man she might love. Because in small doses, she can help make something beautiful, but her ability has just as much capacity to destroy as it does to create. The longer she stays, the more obsessed Wilder will become. It’s happened before, and it never turns out well for the mortal.

Her presence may inspire genius.

But it breeds madness, too. (Via Goodreads.com)

Genre: New Adult Greek Mythology

Pages: 318

Release Date: December 15th, 2015

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Review:

When the author list for ApollyCon 2015 had been released last year, I went through all the authors to see what they had written and if I had an interest in getting their books. Cora Carmack's Inspire instantly caught my eye; the cover was stunning, the plot seemed so unique and the teasers I read were to die for. However, I did not end up purchasing Inspire until a few months after ApollyCon. Last month, when I read Inspire I was on a New Adult Contemporary kick and I had just finished Cora Carmack's latest book, All Played Out, which is total perfection. I was so addicted to All Played Out that I was instantly in a reading slump after I finished it. Hoping another Cora Carmack book could get me out of my reading slump, I started Inspire and I think the slump somewhat ruined Inspire for me.

Going from Cora Carmack's contemporary Rusk University series to Cora's Greek mythology based Inspire was quite a stretch. I know the reading slump caused some of my detachment from Inspire, but it seemed like Cora was a completely different writer in Inspire. Trust me, Inspire still contained a sizzling romance and a swoon worthy guy, which I will talk more in depth about later, but it did not seem like Cora. Inspire was really good, but it held no match to Cora's phenomenal Rusk University series. 

Although Inspire was not as good as Rusk University, I love that Cora is adding more variety into the New Adult genre. Like any other genre, New Adult is not simply light and fluffy romance, it should have a variety of options for readers. The plot for Inspire was so unique. I am a huge Greek Mythology dork and it was fascinating to learn about Kalliope, a Greek figure I had never heard of before. Not only did Cora add variety to the New Adult genre, she also added variety to the Greek Mythology genre. This is probably a long shot, but it would be interesting if Jennifer L. Armentrout and Cora Carmack could do a cross-over between their Greek Mythology series. I think Wilder and Seth could have an interesting bromance...

Speaking of Wilder, the Rusk University guys definitely have some competition when it comes to him. Picking ONE Cora Carmack guy is so hard, they all come from different backgrounds and are all looking toward a different future. Wilder and I instantly connected when he admitted he hates chocolate. I hate chocolate and I always get picked on when I admit it, but I highly doubt anyone would mess with him. 

Inspire left me in a whirl-wind of emotions and a need for the next book in the series, Inflict. I am really interested to see where Inflict will take the series and what is ahead for the characters.














(Me, Cora Carmack)
Photo taken at ApollyCon2015

No comments:

Post a Comment