Saturday, August 24, 2013

Early Review: Not A Drop To Drink by, Mindy McGinnis



Summary:

  Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water.

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own. (Via Goodreads)

Pages: 320

Review:
     First off I would like to thank www.goodreads.com for giving me an ARC of this novel, it will be released in a bookstore near you on September 9 2013.
       This was Mindy McGinnis's debut novel so I did not know quite what to expect, but it turned out to be a great novel! But her characters lacked detail, I had to imagine their appearances, especially Lynn. She described scenes great but just not her characters appearances. 
       I admired Lynn because she is self-sufficient and her ability to learn to love and trust others, something her Mother taught her not to do. Her Mother seemed hard-core, but once her past is brought up it is understandable why she was who she was, but not everything she did was acceptable to me.
      This was the first book I have read in a while that had no love triangle, which I was thankful for because, I believe a book should not be revolved around a relationship unless it is in the romance section, and that is still stretching it.
       The book was fasted paced, and that was good for the most part, but there were a couple scenes that I wish would have been slowed down a littler more.
        I was almost positive that Stebbs was going to turn out to be Lynn's Grandfather, but that was not the case, I was shocked to find out that the leader of the Steamers was actually Lynn's Father, I did not see that coming. I also did not see Eli dieing coming either, especially as a ball of flames.
        My favorite scene would have to have been when Eli was teaching Lynn how to flirt, it was hysterical!
        The epilogue should have stated had how many years had passed since the finale chapter because then the audience would known how much time passed until things were a bit better for them, with new people around. I believe at the end Sebbs and Vera ended up together, it was not stated if they were or were not, but I inferred they were.
        I liked that the post-apocalyptic world Mindy Ginnis's created was realistic because at some point Earth most likely will run out of water or the government will put limits on how much water everyone receives.
        Overall, Not A Drop To Drink is fresh, exciting, action-packed, includes girl power, and I could not turn the pages fast enough. 
        ~Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment