Sunday, August 25, 2013

Awaken (Abandon Trilogy #3) by, Meg Cabot























 

 

Summary:

Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Furies have discovered that John has broken one of their strictest rules: He revived a human soul.

If the balance between life and death isn’t fixed, both the Underworld and Pierce’s home back on earth will be wiped away. But there’s only one way to restore order. Someone has to die.

 (Via www.goodreads.com.) 
  
Pages: 346

 

Release Date: July 2nd 2013

 

Review: 

    The biggest mistake I believe Meg Cabot made with this trilogy was to revive Alex. I disliked his character since the beginning and thought he had no purpose to the story but, he grew on me during this book and he turned out to have a purpose of being brought back and being in the trilogy at all. He turned out to be possessed by Thanatos after Thanatos left Seth's body, and Thanatos turned out to be a decent character too.
      New characters were mixed with the old characters when the dead join the living Underworld characters because of the ships being wrecked and the dead being stranded in the Underworld.  I grew attached to Chloe, Reed and Mrs. Engle, the new characters, and enjoyed learning their past when they were alive. I figured they would only be around until the boats were replaced and they would be off to their finale destinations but they ended up staying after they helped fight the furies off.
      I adored Kayla and Frank's relationship! When I discovered Frank's death, I felt for Kayla, but once Frank was revived by Alex and Thanatos's powers I wanted to give Alex a bear hug. Kayla is such a funny character, even why she does not mean to be funny, like for example when Mr. Mueller was trying to kill them and Pierce told Kayla to run him over with her car, but Kayla refused to even though she had hit her own brother with a fire extinguisher before. She claims it is okay to hurt/kill family but not strangers, until Mike comes along and kills Frank, then it is revenge time.
      Mr. Smith's partner, Patrick, reminds me so much of Cam for Modern Family and I love both Cam and Patrick dearly!
      I am not going to say I completely loved Pierce as a character but she is definitely not one of the worst narrators when it seems most female narrators, I know I am being sexist, turn out to be annoying and whiny, but Pierce is a decent narrator. I admire her though because she is selfless, and she has the courage to fight for her friends and family.
      I thought that during the book John would be asleep and the gang would try to awaken him but he actually is awakened about halfway through the novel.  This surprised me since the title of the books is Awaken and I would have assumed he would be awakened at the very end.
      John is not one of your average bad boys, not that he is a bad boy but he looks like one. Anyways, John has a modern day boy charm but he talks and acts like the time period he is from, the 1800s'. I love that he pesters Pierce about getting married, instead of the other way around, it switches it up from your average book.
      I love in the end that everyone can take turns going back to Isla Huesos and that Pierce and John are going to eventually get married and, at some point, hopefully have a baby. The one thing I am very curious about that was not answered at the end, is what is going to happen to Kayla and Frank's relationship? Since Kayla was never brought back to life she does not have to stay in the Underworld and currently she is back in High school and will eventually open Save Yourselves, a beauty salon. She will age if she stays in Isla Huesos, meaning she will eventually die, and since Frank works in the Underworld, he can not age, so how are they going to be together unless they are both in the same place? But, after a while, Kayla could come and stay in the Underworld with Frank and everyone else. Otherwise, I have no idea how their relationship will last since Frank will live forever and Kayla will not, unless she stays in the Underworld. The only thing I know about those two since the ending is that Frank will sometimes go to Isla Huesos to have dinner with Kayla, which is cute. That is the one thing that has me wondering since finishing the book.
       I would also like to know if Meg Cabot is considering writing a spinoff trilogy or series to the Abandon Trilogy about maybe Pierce and John's child or about one of the other characters because the furies are still out there so they are completely in the clear.
      Since I was young I always have had a thing for mythology, so I am a huge fan of this trilogy because it a twist on a classic myth! One of the first myths I ever read about was Persephone's, so I have a deep connection with this trilogy and I would recommend it to anyone who likes mythology or any romance or paranormal stories.
     ~Casey
 

 

1 comment: