Monday, January 19, 2015

Beautiful Oblivion (The Maddox Brothers #1) by Jamie McGuire

Summary: Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn’t have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with a first weekend off in almost a year.

Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt.

Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlor to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red.

As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she’ll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever—even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart.
 (Via Goodreads.com)

Pages: 320

Release Date: July 1st, 2014

Rating: 5/5 stars

Review:

     When I explain Jamie McGuire's books to people who have yet to read them, I feel as if I need a flow chart. Beautiful Oblivion is the first book in the Maddox Brothers'  series. In each book of the series, it follows one of Travis Maddox's brothers. I would highly recommend reading Travis and Abby's story, Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster, first because their story is spoiled throughout the Maddox Brothers series.
     Normally when I read a book, I take notes on it to help me later on in my review and for later reference. But, when it came to Beautiful Oblivion, I could barely tear myself away from the pages to write a simple sentence. I really enjoyed Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster, but Beautiful Oblivion blew me away. I loved Cami and Trent's story, it was full of humor, determination, and heartbreak. 
     I highly recommend reading Beautiful Oblivion. So far it is my favorite Jamie McGuire book, but Beautiful Redemption is going to be released in less than a week, and I have a really good feeling about it. But, always remember, once you fall for a Maddox brother, there is no coming back...
Related Reviews:
Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1) & Walking Disaster (Beautiful #2) by Jamie McGuire








     It was really interesting to see Travis and Abby's relationship through the eyes of someone else. It was no wonder that everyone and their mother said that their relationship was a disaster, because it is. 
     Even though I loved Beautiful Oblivion, a couple of the plot twists were extremely predictable. Since the beginning of the book, it was pretty obvious that T.J. was Thomas. Like Thomas, T.J. lived in California, worked in "advertising", and was extremely secretive. That aside, if I had not read Walking Disaster, then I would not have known any better because those things are only discovered in the epilogue of Walking Disaster. Also, the car accident Cami and Trent got into was foreshadowed way too much.
     I absolutely adore Olive. She is such a sweetheart and I thought it was hysterical how Trent always used her to get Cami to join him. It was tragic hearing that her big brother had been killed by a car but it made me love Trent even more because he is trying to fill some of the void her brother left. 
     As book lovers we never like to admit that we judge books by their covers, but we do. If 
Beautiful Oblivion did not have such a stunning cover, I never would have read any of Jamie McGuire's books. Around the release date of Beautiful Oblivion I was browsing the book section in Walmart and stumbled upon it. I looked it up on Jamie McGuire's website and discovered that she recommended reading  Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster first, so I began my quest to find them. It took a couple weeks but I eventually found them and I could not stop reading them. 
     Overall, I loved Beautiful Oblivion, it was addicting, fast-paced, and it made me fall in love with another Maddox Brother. I am highly anticipating the release of Beautiful Redemption, I can't wait to read Thomas' story. 


1 comment:

  1. I am really not ok with Cami’s behavior, it’s just ridiculous that she put herself in that position, of course she falls in love with Trent, she was spending so much time with him and was starting tickle fights with him, it’s not like she didn’t knew they were brothers, she should’ve put some boundaries, Thomas was such a good guy, I love how he talks to her when they are in the dining, asking her is she loves Trent and she starts crying, he was heartbroken, but was only thinking of her, he put her happiness above all, and she is just this horrible person! I guess I could’ve get past this, but in the nexts books, her attitude is not changing, if anything is getting worst! I definitely think booth Thomas and Trent deserve so much better, but she is just stuck in the fact that 2 Maddox’s brothers fall for her that she just wants them hung up on her, she doesn’t deserve Trent’s love.

    ReplyDelete