Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Opposition (Lux #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


























Summary:

Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing. (Via Goodreads.com)

Pages: 500


Release Date: August 5th, 2014


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Review:

     The hardest thing about reading is saying goodbye. That is one thing non-readers will never understand. They asks us why we cry over character deaths, why enjoy reading and other questions like those. We get attached to these characters and are submersed into their world and we don't want to leave. Those characters become our best friends and we fall in love with them. They become a part of us and we don't want to let go. That is why I don't want to see the Lux series end. I have been with the series since December of 2012 and one of my close friends and I bonded over the Lux series so I also do not want to let go over sentimental reasons. The good thing is, this is not goodbye to Jennifer's books. Unlike most authors, she has several series and single books going on at the same time so I never have withdrawal from her books (unless it is a sequel *cough* Every Last Breath, the third book in The Dark Elements series *cough*). 
     Before I get all teary eyed and start spoiling everything, Opposition is the fifth and final book in the Lux series. The Lux series is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite series and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. Jennifer L. Armentrout is also one of my favorite authors. The Lux series is witty, humorous, exciting, action-packed, romantic, and amazingly written. A series like this only comes around once in a while and you will never find anything quite like it. I will deeply miss this series but Opposition was the perfect ending to the series.
     I have a review of the prequel novella, Shadows:
http://www.littleredsreviews.blogspot.com/2013/09/shadows-lux-05-by-jennifer-l-armentrout.html 
     My review of the fourth book in the Lux series, Origin:
http://www.littleredsreviews.blogspot.com/2013/08/origin-lux-4-by-jennifer-l-armentrout.html.
     Jennifer has an amazing ability to write. She can write any genre for any age group. One thing I also find amazing about her writing is that she can turn a book with approximately 360 pages or less into something big and brilliant. 
    Take the Lux series, for example. That is a small book to me. I usually read books that are 400-500 pages long. But, Jennifer uses all 360 pages to the maximum effect. She fits all the romance, action, drama, etc. into a small 360 page book that never fails. I have yet to read one of her books that I have not liked. Jennifer also has this ability to write chapters that are so intense and make you nervous but then she throws in a romantic moment that makes you forget what bad things are happening and lets you relax. Jennifer is also an amazing person. I have met her three times before and every time she is so sweet and easy to talk to. I feel like I am talking to an old friend. She is so easy going and funny to listen to at a panel. 
     I do not like the new covers of the Lux series. The old ones, ObsidianOnyx, Opal, and even Origin related to the books. The cover models also looked like Daemon and Kat. Opposition is just a weird close up of a guys face. What is up with the sparkles though? It looks like Twilight threw up on them. But, I guess it represents the Luxen since they are made up of light. Also, why did they have to bind up Obsidian and Onyx into Beginnings and Opal and Origin into Consequences? The books were perfectly fine before! What are your thoughts on the cover changes?
     The following spoiler section will spoil the entire Lux series and Jennifer L. Armentrout's special thank you that includes an extra epilogue to Opposition:  http://www.jenniferarmentrout.com/a-special-thank-you/




*Spoiler Section*



   
    Usually when I write a review it just flows out of me. I know exactly what to say and how to. But, for some reason, Opposition was not like that. It's not that I don't have anything to say about the book, but when I do it seems to come out wrong. So, I hope this review turns out alright. 
    I liked that Jennifer used the two-point perspective in Opposition (like in Origin). It was nice to know both Daemon and Kat's thoughts on certain events and what each of them were up to since they were separated at the beginning of Opposition. I never had trouble identifying if I was in Daemon or Kat's perspective in the middle of the chapter, which was great. I did not want to have a repeat of Allegiant.  
    One thing I hate in books is the mistreating of gingers. In most of the books I have read with gingers they were either killed off and/or a mean person. Both of those are the cases in the Lux series. In Opposition, we meet red-headed devil Sadi who dies (two-for-one deal). I am not saying this to shame Opposition this is just an observation I tend to make when I read books since I am also a ginger.
    I thought it was so interesting that the invading Luxen were able to take other Luxen under their control, unless those Luxen had a hybrid. It was so sad when we found out that Dee was under the Luxen's control. I was really nervous that Kat, Daemon & Archer would not be able to break her from it. When Kat was able to break her from the Luxen's control, I wanted to have a group hug with them. I also wanted to hug Kat because she saved my ship (Archer and Dee). 
    I had no idea how they were going to get rid of the invading Luxen. But, using EMP bombs was a horrible idea. It came from the right direction, to kill Luxen, but killing innocent humans, and electrical grids made it a horrible idea. I so badly wanted to hug Daemon when he came up with the idea to get the Arum to kill the Luxen instead of using the EMP bombs. I wonder if they ever got the electrical grids back up and working in Los Angeles?
     Meeting with the Arum was really weird because since Obsidian we have been taught that Arum are bad. When actually the Luxen are the bad aliens. I am not saying the Arum are the best people around because Lotho is an absolute creep. But, Lore and Hunter are pretty cool. I am now really interested in Hunter and Serena's story. I am curious to see how a Arum and a human fell in love. Which I can find out if I read Obsession, an Adult spin-off book from the Lux series. 
   I was shocked to find out Kat and Daemon's connection was broken by the Prometheus serum, one of them could die without killing the other. But, once I learned that I knew Daemon was going to get hurt. Daemon would get hurt because Kat was in no real danger because Daemon was constantly protecting her. I was 99% sure that Daemon would survive what ever happened to him though. I love being right! Even though I was right and Daemon survived, I still cried a little because Kat was talking about how much she loved him and how they had promised they would have forever together. I am just glad that Katy did not create a montage of her and Daemon together in her head because when characters do that I can't stop crying, they are too emotional for me!
    When Dee, Dawson, Archer, Daemon, and Kat went home to Petersburg, West Virginia to find Ethan I did not want Kat to go with them. I knew she would find her mom assimilated. As much as I like to be right, I wish I would have been wrong on that. But I wasn't. I loved Kat's mom from the very beginning of the series. She was cool and such a great mom. She should not have died like that. Also, Kat did not deserve to lose her mom. It was sad enough that Kat had lost her dad to cancer but her mom as well, it's horrible.
     Throughout the series many characters have died, some were enemies and some were friends. In the end, I am glad most of the main characters got their well deserved happily ever afters:


  • Dawson and Bethany: It is really sentimental that they named their daughter after Ash. I remember that I could not stand Ash at the beginning of the series but she eventually got better and redeemed herself when she sacrificed her life to save Bethany in Origin. It really showed how Ash hated humans at the beginning of the series and how she ended up dying by saving a human. 
  • Archer and Dee: They were one of my favorite 'couples' out of the series. I wanted them together when they first met one another in Origin, not that Daemon agrees with me. I was so nervous as to what would happen to them in Opposition since Dee had been turned to the dark side at the beginning of Opposition. Thankfully Dee came back to us and is her old self again. Archer really made me crave Olive Garden throughout the book.
  • Daemon and Kat: Jennifer had always said Daemon and Kat were never going to have a child. She totally caved. Just like Dawson and Bethany it is very touching that Daemon and Kat named their son Adam. Unlike his sister Ash, Adam was a great guy but he was killed in Onyx. I am also happy that Daemon and Kat (and the rest of the gang) moved to Colorado and Daemon and Kat attended the University of Colorado together. I am so proud of Kat, she finally started her blog again!
  • Sadly Luc didn't get his happily ever after. It does not straight out say that Nadia dies but I am assuming she did. But, Luc still has all the Origin kids to look after. I don't know how that is going to work out but, at least Luc is not lonely.
   Opposition was a great conclusion to the Lux series but I am sad to see the series go. Overall, the Lux series is action-packed, romantic, witty, and you are constantly on the edge of your seat. 
~Casey  

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this right now. I'm on Opal. It's pretty good so far. And I can't wait to see the events you have talked about unfold.

    ReplyDelete