Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Movie Review: If I Stay




Summary:

Life changes in an instant for young Mia Hall after a car accident puts her in a coma. During an out-of-body experience, she must decide whether to wake up and live a life far different than she had imagined. (Via IMDb.com)


Release Date: August 22nd, 2014 


Running Time: 1 hour and 46 minutes


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Review:

     Last August, I read If I Stay. I remember getting my copy at an antique shop in Oklahoma, of all places. I finished If I Stay in one sitting on the drive home to Pennsylvania. I remember having my sunglasses on in the car so you could not tell I was crying. 
     If I Stay is an amazing book and the book-to-movie adaptation was amazing. It made me laugh and cry. So far, If I Stay is my favorite book-to-movie adaptation of this year. If you have read the book or have yet to I highly recommend going to see it (with a tissue box in hand). But, of course read the book first if you plan to ever read the book, you would not want the movie to spoil you.
    Usually in book-to-movie adaptations, they tend to cast people that are not like the characters in the book. But, they did an amazing casting job in If I Stay. At first I was not sure about ChloĆ« Grace Moretz as Mia but she turned out to be the perfect fit for Mia. All the other cast members were amazing and they really brought the emotion.  



*Spoiler Section*


    

     I cried a lot during the movie, but not as much as I did watching The Fault In Our Stars (click to see my review) . It was nice that there were flashbacks between the present and the past.  It made it less painful to watch since we would get distracted and forget about the bad things going on. Unlike The Fault In Our Stars, where it was dumped on you the entire time.
     I knew that the worst two scenes that I would bawl over (like the book) were when Teddy died and when Mia's Grandfather told her it was okay if she didn't want to stay. During the movie, we actually did not see as much of Teddy as we did in the book. Since I was so attached to Teddy in the book as well as in the movie it sounded like I was hyperventilating when he died in the movie. I was crying hysterically. It was also so emotional when Mia's Grandfather told her it was okay to leave because it showed how much he loved her. He loved her enough to not want her to suffer if she was forced to wake up. It was so sad, yet sweet.
     I loved that the movie was a really close adaptation to the book. 
One thing I was disappointed about was that they left out how Kim and Mia became friends. That was not necessary to include but it would have been nice to change off of the subject of Adam and show who else Mia would leave behind if she died. 
     I was also glad the movie included a lot of lines directly from the book. My favorite quote that made it into the movie is on page 175 when Mia's dad says, "Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you." I wish that on page 175, "I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard." had made it into the movie.
     If I Stay seems to be making a lot of money, so I am crossing my fingers that they will make enough for the sequel, Where She Went (click to see my review) into a movie as well.
     Overall, If I Stay was an amazing adaptation of the book and gave me All. The. Feels.
~Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment