Sunday, November 3, 2013

Allegiant (Divergent #3) by, Veronica Roth

























Summary:

One choice will define you.

What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?


The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. (Via Goodreads.com)


Pages: 526

 

Release Date: October 22nd 2013

 

Review: 

       For those of you that have read any of my reviews before, you know I do not include spoiler warnings. I believe that if you read a review you want to be spoiled. But all hands off for this review. If you guys have yet to read Allegiant or any of the Divergent novels, I would recommend leaving now and read them first. 
*Spoiler Section!* 

       Now that you are aware, lets move on.
     It took me quite a while to really get engrossed in the novel. Unlike the other Divergent novels where I was instantly connected, I had to get myself motivated to read. My friends wanted to borrow my copy so I had to read it quickly. Once I reached about the halfway point, it was difficult for me to put it down. Especially the last 50 or so pages when Tris dies.  
      Some of the problems I had with the novel were the split point of views. When I first began the novel, I was excited for the split point of view between Tris and Tobias. It turns out I was not a huge fan. I had trouble determining which point of view was currently being used. They are both such different characters that I never thought it would be a problem. I also had a difficult time processing all the information.Most of the revelations all happened at the same time and there was to much to process. I wish it would have been split up into smaller chunks or have let us have more time to process all the information. 
       As most of you know by now, one of my favorite things to do while reading is to figure out what the title means. It turns out that the Allegiant is the organization of rebels against Evelyn and they want factions back in place.
       In the first two novels in the trilogy, being a Divergent is a huge deal. We learn in Allegiant, that being a Divergent means you are genetically pure. It deals with whether or not a person's genetic material is damaged or not. It turns out that back before all this, humans were trying to make the ultimate humans that would be perfect. It backfired but also somewhat worked. It eliminated certain genes, like stupidity, and aggression that was to be eliminated. But, it also took genes like compassion and selflessness, it all depended on the person. The Divergents were genetically pure, meaning they had all those qualities and were back to the way humans used to be. 
      I thought Tobias was being a moron when he kept whining when he found out that he is not a Divergent, he can just resist certain serums like the Divergents can. They were really not that special, the Divergents were just treated that way. There was nothing wrong with him.
      I felt like the Chicago was this dollhouse type ordeal because the people of the Bureau of Genetic Welfare were controlling the factions and such. It was if they were a dictatorship that was unidentified because they would erase every one's mind when they felt it was needed or give the faction leaders serums to use that they wanted to test. 
      I thought when the gang got outside of the fence they would find out some huge twist, like there was a plague that killed almost everyone and they could not leave because they could get killed by it or something. But, to be honest, I did not remember that this fence existed from Insurgent. I remember that the five factions were split up and somewhat separated but I did not remember them being forbidden to leave this magical fence of sorts.
       One of the main topics I would like to discuss are the deaths that occurred in Allegiant. This is the first book that I have ever come across that kills off their main character and he/she does not somehow come back to life. I am not going to say I always liked Tris, because I would be lying. Throughout these three books, I grew to like her. She was not my favorite female lead character, but she was on the list for it. I realized exactly how much I enjoyed her when she passed. For example, when it first happened I kept making excuses like someone would come and rescue her, or somehow she would pull through and live. But as much as I hoped, she ended up passing away. When she saw her Mom for a split moment I though she had somehow lived and was going to save her, but her Mom took Tris to wherever you go when you die. When Uriah first ended up in the coma, I knew he was gone and that he would never come back to life. But I did not want to accept it. Since his first scene in Divergent, I loved Uriah. He was funny, kind, optimistic, and strong-willed. I understand why Tris had to die, so she finally understood what it meant to sacrifice yourself, but why Uriah? He had a family that loved him, he lost most of his friends, why did he not live? That is my million dollar question to Veronica Roth, the author. I will deeply miss that pansycake. Not only does Uriah die in Allegiant, but he will not be included in the Divergent movie. Tori's death was kind of sad, right when she died. But once I found out that her brother, George, was still alive, it was depressing. She helped Tris and other Divergents because of her brother's death. I wish they could have seen each other, or I wish Tori would have at least known he was still alive before she died.  
      I understand why Tobias was depressed after Tris' death, but she would have never wanted him to be like that. She would have wanted him to be happy and to move on. I liked his idea in having Tris' ashes being spread from the zip-line, but I feel as though he should have done it right after her death, not grieve for two and a half years then finally spread them. It was not healthy. It was a good way for him to let go though, because he was getting over his fears and was doing something she loved and would have wanted to do again.
    The last thing I want to talk about is Peter. Unlike Insurgent, he did not play a big role in Allegiant. The one major thing he did was take the memory serum that took away most of his memories, but left his basic skills. I have heard a lot of people say why could he not have died in Uriah's place. I love Uriah and would have liked him to survive but in a way they both died. Peter was being a pansycake and took the easy way out, instead of facing what he had done. But really he did die, he is a complete different version of Peter than we know. This new Peter hopefully does not rip towels off of people, stab people in the eye with a fork, and does not hang people over a chasm.
     Overall, I was not completely happy in the way Allegiant ended but you cannot have everything you want. Allegiant is action-packed, depressing, an emotional roller coaster, and long awaited. The Divergent movie is due out in theaters on March 22nd of 2014, I am not sure whether or not I will go and see it. I may wait until it is out on DVD because I am not a huge fan of the casting or the discussions to eliminate Uriah from the movie.
~Casey 

No comments:

Post a Comment