Saturday, June 13, 2015

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

SummaryWhen Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly. (Via Goodreads.com)

Genre: New Adult Romance

Pages: 322

Release Date: August 5th, 2014

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review:
    
I can't tell you how many times I have attempted to write this review. I read Ugly Love in late March of this year and, at the beginning of June, I am still struggling to put Ugly Love into words. My difficultly writing this review has nothing to do with the actual book, Ugly Love is easily the best book I have read so far this year. The problem stems from the fact that I have no words for how much I loved Ugly Love. It is kind of ironic that I fell in love with a book that is titled Ugly Love, but I guess that is an accurate relationship since I am unable to form coherent sentences to describe my love for this book.  

I had been dying to get my hands on Ugly Love since it's release last summer, but I never ended up purchasing the book until late January. Ugly Love has been surrounded in so much hype lately, especially with the announcement of a movie. My current addiction is New Adult and after reading Ugly Love, I understand why Colleen Hoover has been unofficially crowned the Queen of New Adult. 

When most people hear the word New Adult, they automatically think of light, fluffy romances that have their ups and downs, but will eventually work out. However, Colleen Hoover created such a raw form of New Adult in Ugly Love that creates heartbreaking emotions. Although Ugly Love appears to have a common story line with various other books, it is so much different. 

Colleen Hoover's writing is so poetic and I am utterly thankful that when I read Ugly Love, we were learning about poetry in my English class. Without that knowledge of poetry, I do not believe I would have had such a deep understanding of Ugly Love as I do now.

The thought of two different story lines unfolding at the same time might sound confusing, but it is breathtakingly beautiful. It was amazing yet heartbreaking to watch both stories unfold and know that at least one of them crashes and burns. I wanted both sets of individuals to be happy and love each other through the rough and smooth patches, but fate had other plans.     

Before starting Ugly Love, I had heard way more than a hand full of reviewers rave about the book. Although, nothing quite prepared me to be blown away like I was. I loved Ugly Love to the very last word and I am ecstatic to read what Colleen Hoover writes next. I highly recommend Ugly Love, especially if you want to explore the darker side of New Adult. I also recommend fans of On Dublin Street by Samantha Young to check Ugly Love out as well. 











(Me, Colleen Hoover)
Photo taken at BookCon 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment