Saturday, June 13, 2015

ARC Review: Asa (Marked Men #6) by Jay Crownover

SummaryJay Crownover’s New York Times and USA Today bestsellingMarked Men series continues with the much anticipated story of southern charmer and certified criminal Asa Cross.

Starting over in Denver with a whole new circle of friends and family, Asa Cross struggles with being the man he knows everyone wants him to be and the man he knows he really is. A leopard doesn’t it change its spots and Asa has always been a predator. He doesn’t want to hurt those who love and rely on him, especially one luscious arresting cop who suddenly seems to be interested in him for far more than his penchant for breaking the law. But letting go of old habits is hard, and it’s easy to hit bottom when it’s the place you know best.

Royal Hastings is quickly learning what the bottom looks like after a tragic situation at work threatens not only her career but her partner’s life. As a woman who has only ever had a few real friends she’s trying to muddle through her confusion and devastation all alone. Except she can’t stop thinking about the sexy southern bartender she locked up. Crushing on Asa is the last thing she needs but his allure is too strong to resist. His long criminal record can only hurt her already shaky career and chasing after a guy who has no respect for the law or himself can only end in heartbreak.

A longtime criminal and a cop together just seems so wrong . . . but for Asa and Royal, being wrong together is the only right choice to make. (Via Goodreads.com)

Genre: New Adult

Pages: 342

Release Date: April 21st, 2015

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review:

It takes major resistance and willpower to put Asa down for longer than five minutes. The same could be said for the rest of the Marked Men series. Each book in the Marked Men series might be about finding love, but they all contain different twists and turns along the way; each story is heart-wrenchingly beautiful in their own way. 

It is hard to believe that I have already finished the Marked Men series; when I originally started the series earlier this year I was content knowing it featured six books since that seemed to be enough time spent with the gang. But trust me, six books is not enough time. I wish each guy and gal had six books dedicated to them because I became so close to each and every one of them and it is hard to let them go. The other day I was thinking back to when I read Rule and it is crazy how much our band of misfits has tragically changed since book one. I feel like a parent when their child goes to college because all I can think to say is, "My babies have grown up so fast."


Jay Crownover has a gift for transitioning the book's endings. Although any of the books could be read individually, you really get a grasp at the whole group if you have read all six books in the correct order. I would not specify any of the books in the series with a "cliff-hanging" ending, but many of the endings in the series make you crave the next book. It is really amazing how much thought Jay must put into the books in order to have such smooth transitions between one book to the next. The ending of one book really sets you up for the beginning of the following book.  

One of my favorite parts of the Marked Men series was waiting to meet the next couple. I absolutely loved Royal and Asa's first impression of each other when they finally meet in the fifth book, Rowdy. I also love that Jay includes a playlist for each couple. My only complaint regarding the playlists are that they come immediately after the books ends. I wish the playlist was included in the beginning so the reader can listen to the playlist as they read along. I understand that I could flip to the back and check the playlist out before starting the book, but I do not want to risk reading a spoiler. 

Jay Crownover is one of the few authors in which I will read their acknowledgments. I am not trying to pick at other authors, but Jay's acknowledgements are so sweet and seem to come from her heart; while other authors typically list names and seem to be writing with monotone. Jay also seems really appreciative of her readers, she thanks us countless times while most authors have one sentence thanking the readers in point five font. 

Without reading Jennifer L. Armentrout's Wicked earlier this year, I more than likely would not have started the Marked Men series so soon or even at all. Jen raves about the Marked Men series in Wicked and now I understand what all the rave is all about. I got to meet Jay at ApollyCon this past February, where I won a signed ARC of Asa, and I am excited to see her again in Vegas next month at Love N. Vegas. When I originally met Jay, I was only five pages into Rule so I did not really have much to say to her, but now is a totally different story.


No matter how many New Adult books or series I read, the Marked Men series will always have a special place in my heart. All of Jay's characters have so many layers to them and, as they are stripped away, they become so much deeper and more relatable. It is hard to choose favorites when it comes to this series, but my favorite Marked Man would have to be Asa, my favorite Marked Woman would have to be Ayden and my favorite couple is Nash and Saint. I am super excited to read Sayer and Zeb's story in the Built, the first book in the Marked Men spin-off series, Saints of Denver

















(Me, Jay Crownover)
Photo taken at ApollyCon 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment