Sunday, November 9, 2014

Deity (Covenant #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Summary: 

"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "



Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden. 

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome. 

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed. 

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate... (Via Goodreads.com)


Pages: 330


Release Date: October 31st, 2012


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Review:

     Recently, I have been marathoning the Covenant series. I have always wanted to read the series because it is by my favorite author, Jennifer L. Armentrout. The Covenant series is the only series I have yet to read by Jennifer. I would have eventually read the series, but I was motivated to read it sooner because I got an ARC of The Return, the first book in the spin-off series of the Covenant series. The Return is expected to be released in February of next year and I will be attending the release party, ApollyCon, next February in Philadelphia (for more information on ApollyCon: http://www.tdevents.net/p/apollycon.html). I wanted to read The Return before both the release day and the release party. I am hoping to read The Return by the end of this year but first I need to finish the Covenant series first.
     Deity is the third book in the Covenant series and it full of shocking revelations, action, romance and a cliff hanging ending. I am excited to continue and finish the series. Like all of Jennifer L. Armentrout's other books, I love the Covenant series and I would highly recommend them. The series is a cool twist on Greek mythology. Also, who would not buy these books for the simple fact that the covers are stunning?
     Currently, I have the following reviews for the Covenant series: 
Daimon (Covenant #0.5): 

     I knew Lucian could not be trusted. Since he was introduced in Half-Blood, I knew there was something up with him. Once Alex described him prior to her and her mom fleeing, I knew he would not suddenly change for the better. But, I never thought Seth would be on Lucian's side. Seth is Lucian's Guard but I never thought he could be brainwashed like that.  Lucian was like a father and I sort of understand why Seth let Lucian brainwash him because Lucian was the only person to ever 'love' him. I do sympathize for Seth because he is so lonely and he needs someone that truly loves him. Not someone who 'loves' him for his powers and abilities. 
     Until reading Deity I was almost positive that Minister Telly was Seth's father. Seth had never mentioned much about his father and how he regarded Telly made me think that Telly was actually Seth's dad. But, I was proven wrong when we discovered that an Apollyon is born from a pure mom and a half dad. I hope we get to learn more about Seth's past and who his parents are. He is a main character but he is still rather mysterious. I just hope by the end of the series Seth will be back to normal and will eventually find someone. It seems like he does have a big heart, he just needs someone to share it with. 
     I was not expecting Apollo to be one of Alex's ancestors. But, after I finished Deity I started my review for Daimon and I noticed that in one of the notes I took it had mentioned that Alex's mom was fascinated with Apollo, so that fact was always there, I just never connected the dots. But, the most shocking thing of all was to discover that Leon was actually Apollo. I knew there was something different about Leon but I never expected this. Since Leon is a god, I wonder if anyone else could be hiding a secret identity...
     I was shocked to discover that Deacon was gay because he was the player of the series. But, he and Luke are really cute together. Just like Alex and Aiden, one of them is pure and the other is a half. I hope by the end of the series they will destroy the rule about halfs and pures not being allowed to be romantically involved. Am the only one who thinks Deacon reminds me of Magnus Bane from The Mortal Instruments series? 
     This is going to sound uncivilized, but I was glad that Alex died. Now let me finish. I love Alex, she is one of my favorite female characters but she needed to visit the Underworld. She needed closure and to hear that Caleb did not blame her for his death. I am glad Alex got to say goodbye to Caleb and to know he is happy. 
     I was right when it came to Aiden's mysterious necklace. When is was first mentioned, I automatically knew it was the black guitar pick Alex got him for his 21st birthday. For once, I was happy that I was right, it was a really sweet touch Jennifer added to the story. Speaking of jewelery, I loved that Aiden made Alex a necklace for her 18th birthday, it sounds beautiful and it came from his heart. 
     I was so mad when it was revealed that the gods never intended for the halfs to be enslaved. All they wanted was for the races to be separated to limit the number of Apollyons created. It was the pures who enslaved the halfs for their own selfish purposes. One thing I do not understand, is why the halfs have never fought back? The halfs have both the numbers and skills to beat the pures. The only thing against them is the elixir, but I am betting they could eventually find a way around it, since they have both the numbers and skills. 
     It was really depressing to hear Aiden talk about his parents murders. Yet, I was relieved that he finally confided in Alex with it because he never told anyone else the story and he needed to let it out. It was interesting to learn that the real reason he became a Sentinel was to honor the half-blood who saved his and Deacon's life. It was a sweet yet depressing end to his story. 
     I don't really know what to expect from the remaining books in the series. All I know is that there is an impending war with the gods on the horizon. I just hope we don't have to say goodbye to many more characters. 
     Overall, Deity was shocking, full of action, comedy, romance, and ended on a cliff hanger. I am very excited to finish the series. I only have to read one novella and two more books until the series is over.
~Casey 

No comments:

Post a Comment