Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas

SummaryShe was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one.

Celaena Sardothien has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak—but at an unspeakable cost. Now she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth...a truth about her heritage that could change her life—and her future—forever.

Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. To defeat them, Celaena must find the strength to not only fight her inner demons but to battle the evil that is about to be unleashed.

The king's assassin takes on an even greater destiny and burns brighter than ever before in this follow-up to the New York Times bestselling Crown of Midnight. (Via Goodreads.com)

Pages: 562

Release Date: September 2nd, 2014

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review:

I have enjoyed the entire Throne of Glass series, but up until Heir of Fire, I could have walked away from the series. When I read a book, I want to have a deep connection between myself and the characters, but throughout Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight, I felt as though there was a glass (pun intended) wall separating me from the characters. But, in Heir of Fire, Celaena must have shattered that wall with one of her arrows because I no longer feel the presence of a daunting wall.



Do not let Heir of Fire's size intimidate you, it may seem extremely thick and dense, but you fly right through it. Heir of Fire had me laughing, crying and fangirling all within the same paragraph. Heir of Fire is one of my favorite books I read so far this year and I am so excited for the release of Queen of Shadows on September 1st. I am relieved to finally be on the Throne of Glass bandwagon.







When I found out Rowan would be a third contender for Celaena's heart, I rolled my eyes. Who needed a love-triangle, let alone a love-square/kite/whatever shape it actually is? However, that was before I knew how irresistible Sarah J. Maas' fictional men are. If you have read my Throne of Glass or Crown of Midnight review, you know I love Dorian, but that was before Rowan came into the picture. My love for Rowan makes my love for Dorian look like a school-girl crush. Rowan has replaced Adrian Ivashkov from the Bloodlines series as number four on my Book-Boyfriend List. Rowan reminds me so much of Death in The Arcana Chronicles by Kresley Cole, who I absolutely love, but Death has yet to make the Book-Boyfriend List. 
    
After finishing Heir of Fire, I am left with so many questions and predictions, but I have one question that I doubt will ever be answered and I want to hear your thoughts. It is mentioned by both Maeve and Emrys how much Celaena resembles her mother and we know for a fact that both Dorian and the king have met her mother; how did they not recognize Celaena for who she really is? I know Aelin was supposedly "dead", but you would think the king would remember the faces of the royal family he slaughtered and be slightly suspicious of a girl the same age as Aelin who is also the spitting imagine of the former Terrasen Queen.


Speaking of encounters, the first time Dorian and Celaena met as kids was absolutely adorable. It is so sad that it was overshadowed by the rather unexpected turn that changed the fate of Erilea forever. 

The government in the Throne of Glass series is the worst government I have ever read about, and that is saying something because I used to be obsessed with dystopian books. I love stories where the worlds are ruled by Kings and Queens. It is so elegant, but Erilea needs to get rid of their King. The King is unnecessarily cruel, deceptive, manipulative and thousands of others rude words. I feel so horrible for Dorian; not only that he is now under his father's control, but he shares blood with him. I know Dorian is such a sweet and charming guy, but both his father and his younger brother have dark tendencies, are we sure they skipped Dorian? If we managed to free Dorian from his father, will he ever be the same?

After reading Heir of Fire, I feel like I need to re-read The Assassin's Blade. I read the novella bind-up before starting Throne of Glass to familiarize myself with the world, but I think I should have waited to read it until after Heir of Fire. I remembered enough from The Assassin's Blade to recognize when Celaena was referencing it, but I did not remember enough to recall exactly what happened. 

I can easily share a couple quotes I liked in Heir of Fire, but nothing compares to the last line "She was Aelin Ashryver Galathynius—and she would not be afraid (562)." It reminds me so much of the end of The Assassin's Blade and it has my heart-pumping for Queen of Shadows even more. 
















(Sarah J, Maas, Susan Dennard, Me)
Photo Taken at Comic-Con 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment