Tuesday, August 18, 2015

ARC Review: A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery

SummaryPerfect for fans of Nicholas Sparks, this breathtaking story of love and loss is guaranteed to break your heart and sweep you off your feet.

When high school senior Kelsey's identical twin sister, Michelle, dies in a car crash, Kelsey is left without her other half. The only person who doesn't know about the tragedy is Michelle's boyfriend, Peter, recently deployed to Afghanistan. But when Kelsey finally connects with Peter online, she can't bear to tell him the truth. Active duty has taken its toll, and Peter, thinking that Kelsey is Michelle, says that seeing her is the one thing keeping him alive. Caught up in the moment, Kelsey has no choice: She lets Peter believe that she is her sister.

As Kelsey keeps up the act, she crosses the line from pretend to real. Soon, Kelsey can't deny that she's falling, hard, for the one boy she shouldn't want. (Via Goodreads.com)

Pages: 306

Release Date: July 7th, 2015

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Review:

After hearing the synopsis of A Million Miles Away in several BEA hauls, I knew this book was right up my alley. I searched all over the Twitter hashtag #BooksForTrade and finally managed to make a trade with Nichol over at Stacks Waiting for A Million Miles Away.

I had really high expectations going into A Million Miles Away and they were somewhat met. Unlike some reviews for A Million Miles Away, I did not care that the likelihood of the plot ever occurring was slim to none, but I was disappointed that the story was not quite as depressing and heart-breaking as I had hoped. The main reason I really wanted to read A Million Miles Away was because I was craving a really depressing and heart-breaking story.  I do realize that is an unusual thing to crave. Do not get me wrong, the story is heart-breaking and depressing, at times, but it is not overbearing, which is what I was looking for. 

Another problem I had with the book was the wording. At times, I had to re-read sentences or paragraphs because I was not grasping what the narrator was saying. I would not take that complaint too close to heart because I did read an advanced copy of A Million Miles Away, so the editing process since the printed ARC could easily fix those mistakes. 

I do not know about you, but I really like the cover of A Million Miles Away. I am usually not a big fan of contemporary covers, but the hot pink font and cover really pulled me in. 

Although I had a couple problems with A Million Miles Away, I could not get enough of the story. Once the plot pulled me in, I was a goner. A Million Miles Away is one of those books you stay up until 2 a.m. to finish, which I shamelessly did. I would highly recommend checking out A Million Miles Away if you are looking for a quick, guilty pleasure read.  



No comments:

Post a Comment