Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits #1) by Katie McGarry

SummarySo wrong for each other …and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. 

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. 

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again. (Via Goodreads.com)


Pages: 392

Release Date: June 1st, 2012

Rating: 4/5 stars 

Review:
    Pushing the Limits has been sitting on my to-be-read pile for at least two years since I won it off of Girl's Life. I have always wanted to read it, but I was never motivated enough to until the author, Katie McGarry, announced she would be attending Apollycon this February. 
    The little hype I heard about the series had been really good, so I had high expectations going into the book. I really enjoyed reading Pushing the Limits, it featured a unique plot that kept me flipping the pages until the very end.
    Pushing the Limits follows Echo Emerson and Noah Hutchins who are on two completely different sides of the social sphere. Echo Emerson is an artistic girl who is being pulled back into popular status while Noah is a notorious player and foster kid. Echo ends up tutoring Noah for money to repair her brother's car and they end up bonding over their less than perfect lives.
     I liked Katie McGarry's choice to make the book have two different points of views. It gave the readers an in depth look at both Echo and Noah through their eyes.
     Another thing I really enjoyed about Pushing the Limits was that Echo is a redhead. One observation I make a lot when reading is that when you have a ginger character, the character is either not well liked or gets killed off. Pushing the Limits was one of the rare cases where I actually liked the redhead and she did not end up dying. 
     Although I really enjoyed the book, I rated it a 4/5 stars rather than 5/5 stars because I did not feel a close connection with the characters. I really liked them but I always felt like there was some barrier separating them from me.
     Overall, Pushing the Limits was a quick, emotional, and suspenseful read that had me on the edge of my seat until the very end. Later on this year, I plan to continue on with the series and I am excited to see where Echo and Noah go in Breaking the Rules

No comments:

Post a Comment