Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Movie Review of 'The Fault In Our Stars'

























Summary:

Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group. (Via. www.imdb.com) 


Running Time: 124 minutes (2 hours and 4 minutes)


Release Date: June 6th, 2014


Review:

     The Fault In Our Stars is one of my favorite books of all times and was my most anticipated book-to-movie adaptation of 2014. I read The Fault In Our Stars in April of 2013 and it was the second most emotional book I have ever read, the first being The Book Thief. The movie of The Fault In Our Stars was more emotional than the book was, I advise bringing a whole box of tissues, you will need them. The movie was a great adaptation of a book and the movie was great in general. I still do not know what I would rate this movie, but I do know it is emotionally draining. I would recommend going to see the movie if you are a fan of the book or even if you have never read the book, it is a movie worth seeing. But remember, bring the tissue box, I am in no way joking about that fact.

*Spoiler Section* 

     Like I mentioned several times before, this movie was extremely emotional. I cried so much in the beginning and the middle that when Gus died I could no longer cry anymore, I ran out of tears. I loved the movie but it was painful watching because I cried so much. It would have been a more enjoyable movie had I not cried every five seconds. But, it was a relief to have Gus in the film because he would lighten the moment and make you laugh before you had to cry again. 
     I had two favorite scenes from the movie that were also in the book.  The first was when Gus drove Hazel to his house. I loved how Gus was a horrible driver and the scene made me laugh so much. The second scene was when when Gus, Hazel, and Issac egged Monica, Issac's ex-girlfriend's, car. I loved how Issac kept missing the car by such large distances because he was blind. I liked during that scene when Gus told Monica's Mom the number of legs, eyes, and working lungs the three all had together. 
     I think the casting was great for the movie. All the actors/actresses embodied their characters so well. It sucked to be constantly crying over this movie instead of enjoying it but, that proves how well the actors/actresses performed. If the movie was not emotional then the actors/actresses failed to make you feel those emotions. But, they did a phenomenal job of making the audience feel their pain. I give them a round of applause for that. 
     I liked how Hazel narrated the movie, it helped the movie flow together. Also, I like when Gus and Hazel were texting one another that there were cute speech bubbles that would pop up and show what they were saying so you did not have to squint and read what was actually on their phones. Some people probably thought it was cheesy but I thought it was adorable. Plus, it felt like you were a part of the conversations. I know when I watch Pretty Little Liars that it is so hard to read the girl's cell phones when A or someone else texts them. Also, it goes by quickly and you have to speed read to catch it. But, in The Fault In Our Stars that was not necessary. You could read it and take your time doing so.
     I know this is not much of a review but it is hard to put into words how amazing yet painful this film is. I would like to go see this film again but it is so hard to watch people struggle with terminal diseases. That is the main difference between the book and the novel. In the book it is depressing when Gus dies because you learn to love him. But, in the movie these characters are actually human beings and you see them constantly suffering, which is so depressing. 
     Overall, The Fault In Our Stars has amazing acting. It is romantic, funny, and depressing all at the same time. What else could you ask for?
~Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment