Sunday, May 11, 2014

Sweet Reckoning (Sweet Evil #3) by, Wendy Higgins

SummaryIt’s time. 

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom. (Via Goodreads.com)

Pages: 385

Release Date: April 29th, 2014

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review:

Sweet Reckoning was one of my most anticipated books of 2014 after reading Sweet Evil and Sweet Peril last fall. To those of you who have not yet read the Sweet Evil trilogy, I would highly recommend reading it. The trilogy's basic genre is paranormal romance, so if you enjoy reading paranormal romance, I would definitely recommend checking it out. 







I do not even know where to begin with this review. Um, what about my predictions. In my review of both Sweet Evil and Sweet Peril I listed some predictions for Sweet Reckoning, and I also made some in the months leading up to the release of the book. Two of my main predictions were that Patti and Kope would both die, I was 75% right. Patti ended up dying, so sad, and Kope almost died, his Dad healed and saved Kope's life. Therefore, I am going to give myself half of those points because he almost died. My predictions for couples were spot on. The only thing that did not occur was Anna's Dad betraying them. I thought he would, but it turns out he was not as shady as I thought.

I absolutely loved the ending except when Marna died. I loved that Anna and Kai adopted two boys and a girl. The moment Alile, who was sexually abused, called Kai her Dad, I knew that Anna and Kai would adopt her. Alile and Kai were so adorable at the end and it was such a sweet ending to the story.  

My fangirl side was so happy when Anna and Kai got married. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was. Especially when they went on their honeymoon, it was so sweet they went to the Grand Canyon since they were not able to go their on their road trip in Sweet Evil, it was such a nice touch. 

Anna and Kai were not the only people in a relationship. There are other relationships in Sweet Reckoning. First up is Jay and Marna. I thought it was stupid for Marna to hang around Jay in the beginning because of the risk of Whispers, but they had bigger problems than that. When I found out Marna was pregnant, I was really sad because Marna was going to die. I loved that they tried to be together as much as possible and cherish the little time she had left. I hoped that, after defeating the Dukes, Marna would end up surviving but that was not the case. Jay was a fantastic single father to their daughter, Anise. I wish him the best of luck. 

Next up is Ginger and Blake. I felt horrible for Ginger the entire book. She had to cope with her sister dying, Blake was engaged to someone else, and Patti dying (I believe Patti's death affected Ginger more than Anna). I was glad that, at the end, Blake and Ginger ended up together; it was a well deserved ending. 

Finally, we have Kope and Z. Out of all the other couples in the story, this was the couple that needed more pages. Kope came in about a quarter of the way through the book and Z showed up in the last half of the book. Their relationship was not necessarily defined. I was glad that they ended up getting married and ran the orphanage in Malawi. Every single couple in this trilogy deserved to be happy, especially the Nephilim, they never really knew what love was until now.

Believe it or not there was actually other events going on besides romance (I just love the romance aspects though). On page 49, Anna states "...I sat in my hotel room, reading about a swoony alien guy." I started fangirling because I knew Anna was referring to the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout (a series that I absolutely love).

Its sad to say, but I actually loved when Anna was wasted, she was so funny and chill. I like Anna, but she needs to calm down a bit. But it was pretty stupid how drunk she got because she could have easily given them away. 

I was so happy when all the Dukes were gone and all the Nephilim were free from them. All the Nephs deserved their own chance at life and a new start with their white badges. All the Nephs also deserved to love, something they never could have or were given from the Dukes. The Neph's happy ending was the rightful ending for them, I just wish they were given it earlier. 

The ending scenes in all series and trilogies always tend to be rushed. The same goes for Sweet Reckoning, I wish the ending battle would have lasted a bit longer. The pacing of the book was great until the last battle scene, it went by too fast and I had to reread a couple parts for it to make sense. 

Sweet Reckoning was a great conclusion to the Sweet Evil trilogy and I am sad that I had to say goodbye to all the characters I have grown attached to. Wendy Higgins' writing is smooth, witty, and enjoyable. Plus, I meet Wendy Higgins at Celebrate the Book last October, she is such a sweetie. Overall, Sweet Reckoning was funny, action-packed, romantic, and a great conclusion to the trilogy. This will probably be one of my favorite trilogies for a long time.



1 comment:

  1. no offense darling but this is more of your opinions than a summary. Maybe think more about trying to explain your opinions with some textual evidence because i was looking for a legit recap of the book. However i totes agree with all of this ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete