Monday, February 25, 2013

Beauty Queens by, Libba Bray


Summary:

  The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.

Casey's Review:

     Let's start of with characters, for starters Tiara had me laughing the entire book, her character was so dumb and I wondered if it was just a front, it was not, but toward the end you see this smarter side of her come out. I loved her dumbness though, it make her character and it made me, as the reader, want to learn and know more about her. I was compatible with Adina because of her whole idea of not really believing in love, and being hard to be impressed by guys. Now like everyone else I was really curious what was so important in Petra's overnight bag, and it turns out it was her, or should I say his, hormones that make him look like a girl. A lot of readers or non-readers of the book could think that is wrong but I liked Petra, even though she was not a girl, which makes me like her more by everything she has gone through for this dream of hers. I was so happen when Sinjin excepted her for who she was and did not care what she used to be. It made me realize what it is truly like to fall in love with someone,  to love someone no matter who they are or what they once were.  So at first I hated Taylor, she was so annoying about the whole idea that everyone would get rescued right of the bat and made everyone practice for the pageant. But as the book went on I started to understand her character more and why she was the way she was, mostly because of her back story. When Agent Jones drugged her and made her act insane, that was hysterical. But in the end you find out that she actually was not really insane and everything she did that made her look like she really was going insane really helped out and saved everyone.
       So when the pirates showed up from the show Captains Bodacious IV: Badder and More Bodaciouser that somehow made everything more interesting, not that it was not already. Which leads us into the relationship of all the characters. At first I thought Duff and Adina would make a great couple and I was right, up until Adina finds the video recorder and sees why he acted all nice to her and what was on it, something that is rated R. At the end when he apologies to her and says he loved her I was skepticaly if he really meant it and was relieved when she told him that she would not give him a second chance, girl power! Now I rooted for Mary Lou and Tane's relationship the whole time, even when everyone doubted that he even existed. I did not doubt he was alive because they show the readers that he is not. Lastly I Loved Sinjin and Petra's relationship the most, since he excepted her for who she really was, not what she used to be.  Also they looked pretty cute together, can I say Christmas card?
        The ending was so funny, it was definetaly the best epilogue I have ever read in a book before. It reminded me more of a movie ending, since it paused on each girl and a blurb came up about what they ended up doing and how their lives turned out. The only thing I disliked about the entire book was that it never clearly said what happened to Taylor in the end, the last you see of her is when she was hunting in the forest after the explosion and all the other girls and pirates got off the island. I mean you can infer on what happened in the end, but your never quite exactly sure.
       I loved  that in the book they had what I would call a break, where they had a commerical of a very weird/crazy product the company that sponsored  the pageant sold. But they were so interesting and kept you reading. As well as the interviews with the girls of the pageant and the ones back on mainland with Ladybird Hope. The author, Libba Bray, had a way with her words and placement that I looked up to as a reader and future writer.
      The conversations the girls had around the campfire always had me cracking up laughing and wanting more. This book did make me change my idea of pageant girls because they all had different stories of why they had to do the pageant and some of them were very admirable. I definitly will not judge them as fast as I used to, because the book gives you a total different perspectine on them. With their struggles, pasts, and  them wanting to have a great future that they otherwise could not get without the prize money.
      Overall it was an amazing book with a great message, which always gets a vote from me. I would recomend this book for anyone to try, but at least in their teen years because some of the books content is not for younger audiences. I dare you guys to read this book! If you do take the challenge, post what you thought of the book and if your perspective changed on girls that participate in beauty pageants below in the comments. Even if you have already read the book, I really want to know what your thought of it were. So do not be afraid to take the challenge and I really hope some of you do read it!

~Casey
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment