Monday, June 13, 2016

ARC Review: Truthwitch (Witchlands #1) by Susan Dennard

SummaryIn a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.

Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.

Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.

In a chance encounter at Court, Safi meets Prince Merik and makes him a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch (Via Goodreads.com).

Pages: 412

Release Date: January 5th, 2016

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review:

I have literally been writing this review for months, but the right words have yet to come out. If there is one thing you should know about me, is the fact that I do not like fantasy books.I have nothing against the books themselves, but my brain has difficulty switching into a fantasy mood. In order to obtain this ARC of Truthwitch I had to mob the Tor booth at San Diego Comic-Con in early July of last year. I believe there were only 50 Truthwitch ARCs being handed out and there were a lot more than 50 people there. Nonetheless, I managed to get a copy and keep all of my limbs. 

I began hearing the hype for Truthwitch in late February of 2015 at ApollyCon, where I got to meet Susan Dennard for the first time. A couple months later I filled out a form to be in the running to be a Witchlander, a member of Truthwitch's Street Team. Flash forward to July of 2015 and I managed to, not only obtain an ARC of Truthwitch, but I also scored a spot on the Air Clan, one of the six clans in the Truthwitch Street Team. In the months following, I manged  to read the first 30 pages of Truthwitch at least four times. I finally re-read the first 30 pages for the fifth time and finished the book a couple of weeks after the official release of Truthwitch. While many would view my lack of progress with Truthwitch as a sign of not enjoying the book, I absolutely loved the first 30 pages, and every other page after. Like I mentioned previously, it is hard to turn my brain into a fantasy mood, especially during the school year. I slowly sink into fantasy worlds until they feel like our very own. Since I found my groove of the Witchlands in Truthwitch, I can now easily slide into their world. 

Speaking of the Witchlands, I cannot get over how beautifully crafted Susan made the Witchlands. In my interview with Susan, she had mentioned that she may have made the world too large. While she most definitely did craft a huge world, I would take nothing out of it. Like Cassandra Clare's massive Shadowhunters Chronicles, Susan could create so many more stories in the Witchlands. The world has so much love and detail put into it that it would be a shame to only be used for one book series. The magic system is so intricate and if I had to live in a fantasy world, I would choose the Witchlands. I could easily see myself sitting in Mathew's Coffee Shop and using my Windwitch abilities to create a cool breeze. 

All of the characters in Truthwitch and the relationships between them are so three-dimensional. I am rather envious of the friendship between Safiya and Iseult. They both have each other's back every second of the book, even if they are separated by distance or illness. I especially love that they comment on the things that drive the other mad, many friendships in books seem rather forced or fake, but the friendship between Safi and Iz is so natural. They are not afraid to point out the other's mistakes because they do it out of love. I wish I had a Safi to my Iz-like self. While there are hints of romance throughout Truthwitch, I love that the friendships shared between Threadsiblings are the predominant relationships explored throughout the book. I cannot deny that I am a sucker for romance, but Susan sprinkles just enough in that you are left satisfied, but still wanting more.

Not only does Truthwitch introduce amazing friendships and romance, the book also introduces some amazing book boyfriends. It is hard for me to choose whether I love Merik or Aeduan more. Aeduan is quiet, mysterious, and has a dangerous vibe, the normal traits I fall for when it comes to fictional men; however, Merik is a fellow Windwitch. I loved Merik's determination to his home country, Nubrevna. My heart aches for both him and his country. Merik would do anything to return his country to a fraction of its former glory. His people are depending on him, and he will not disappoint.

I have not talked to many readers about their ships when it comes to Truthwitch. I am assuming most are shipping the same ones as me: Safi with Merik and Iz with Aeduan. (If you have read Truthwitch, comment below with your ships, I would love to know who is shipping who!) I love that Iz and Aeduan are both outsiders, they can be outsiders together. I also love that Safi and Merik share the same drive and passion for what they want.

Truthwitch is beautiful inside and out, much like it's author, Susan Dennard. I cannot wait for the continuation of the story in Windwitch, which already has a cover, and is absolutely gorgeous. I cannot wait to be reunited with the gang in early 2017 with the release of Windwitch. I can only imagine the chaos and trouble that they will face. If you have yet to pick up your own copy of Truthwitch, I highly recommend getting yourself a copy. Truthwitch is one book band-wagon you want to hop on, the book is absolutely phenomenal. I can see the series going places in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment