Saturday, March 28, 2015

Movie Review: The DUFF

SummaryA high school senior instigates a social pecking order revolution after finding out that she has been labeled the DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) to her prettier more popular friends. (Via IMDb.com)


Running Time: 1 hour and 41 minutes



Release Date: February 20th, 2015



Rating: 5/5 Stars



Review:
     I read The Duff in early January of this year because of all the hype surrounding the movie. The book was enjoyable, but the only memorable part was the message it conveyed. Normally, I somewhat dread book-to-movie adaptations because they are never as good as the book, but I had high hopes for The Duff. I had hoped that the movie would finally give The Duff the justice it deserved, since the book never did. Thankfully, the movie was able to pull through and gave the book justice it deserved. 
     Although I had high hopes for the movie from it's laugh-out-loud trailers, I was a bit nervous dragging my parents to see it. I thought they would fall asleep midway or constantly be surfing the internet, but surprisingly they were laughing along as much as I did, if not more.
     I want to highly applaud the screenwriters and cast. The screenwriters did an amazing job creating such a fun script that gave a realistic look into modern-day high schools. The cast also did a phenomenal job portraying the characters and delivering the script. From the trailers I was not a big fan of the casting, but they ended up blowing me away. Although not all of the cast was identical to their descriptions in the book, I was able to overlook that because they did such a phenomenal job portraying the characters. I especially loved the casting of Bianca and Jessica. Like Bianca would say, Mae Whitman was "amazeballs". Mae was sassy, witty, and everything else Bianca represents. I also loved Skyler Samuels as Jessica. I had yet to see Skyler act prior to The Duff but she was so down-to-earth and sweet like Jessica. 
     I loved how they were able to incorporate social media into the movie. The movie revolved around social media and it's impact on modern-day teenagers. You were able to see how videos spread like wild-fires and how two-sided everyone is. It was so unique that the ending credits used Instagram profiles. It allowed the audience to attach faces to names. I hate when the credits roll and you are only able to see the actor's names. If I had not seen an actor before, how am I supposed to know their name?
     I absolutely loved The Duff. It was full of laugh-out-loud moments and a phenomenal cast that made me feel like I left the theater with inside-jokes only we could understand. I loved the movie so much more than I did the book. The movie had a better plot, but I am so happy that the movie shared the same message as the book because it is something everyone should learn. I highly recommend watching The Duff, I can't wait to go buy it on DVD to relive all the fun. 


     
     



No comments:

Post a Comment