Sunday, October 19, 2014

Daimon (Covenant #0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Summary:

"Love in my world usually ended up with someone hearing 'I smite thee!' as she was cursed to be some lame flower for the rest of her life."For three years, Alexandria has lived among mortals--pretending to be like them and trying to forget the duty she'd been trained to fulfill as a child of a mortal and a demigod. At seventeen, she's pretty much accepted that she's a freak by mortal standards... and that she'll never be prepared for that duty.According to her mother, that's a good thing.But as every descendant of the gods knows, Fate has a way of rearing her ugly head. A horrifying attack forces Alex to flee Miami and try to find her way back to the very place her mother had warned her she should never return-the Covenant. Every step that brings her closer to safety is one more step toward death... because she's being hunted by the very creatures she'd once trained to kill.The daimons have found her. (Via Goodreads.com)


Pages: (E-book) 62


Release Date: April 19th, 2011


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Review:

   There is always a point in time when I read a book or a book series and I ask myself, "Where has this book/series been all my life?" When it comes to the Covenant series, the answer is, they have been on my Kindle for a long time. If you have read some of my reviews, more than likely you have picked up on the fact that I love Jennifer L. Armentrout. I have meet her three times and I can never say anything bad about her books. 
    The only Young Adult series I had not read by Jennifer is the Covenant series. There was no doubt in my mind that I would read the series, but I was hesitant to start the series after my friend told me it took a while for her to get into the series. My friend and I usually have the same opinion on books, but this time we did not. I absolutely love the Covenant series, and I am about to start the fourth book, Apollyon. My friend loves the series as well but it only took me the first sentence to get hooked on the series.
    The main reason I started the Covenant series right now was that back in May at Book Con (my review of Book Conhttp://littleredsreviews.blogspot.com/2014/06/book-con-2014.html), I was given an ARC of The Return, which is a spin off book from the Covenant series. The Return is to be released in February of 2015 so I wanted to read the book series before the release date. I am also excited to announce that I will be attending, ApollyCon in February, which is the release party for The Return and there are going to many of my favorite authors in attendance (for more information on ApollyConhttp://www.tdevents.net/p/apollycon.html). 
     Anyways, Daimon is a prequel novella to the the Covenant series. You do not need to read Daimon in order to understand the series, but it does give you more of an insight as to what happened prior to the first book, Half-Blood
     Daimon is funny, full of action, features some romance, and has a strong female lead. I would highly recommend starting the Covenant series or anything else written by the lovely Jennifer L. Armentrout.


*Spoiler Section*


    I read Daimon very late at night in one sitting. I was extremely tired when I read it and like most, when I am tired I don't comprehend things or act like I normally am. This is my favorite scene from Daimon and it is hysterical, but when I originally read this I laughed for at least five minutes. This took place on pages 14-15:
   
     " 'You overreacted! They weren't going to kick my ass or molest you! And there won't be a next time. I'm not down with violence.' Matt shook his head and turned away from me, plowing his feet through the mounds of sand, leaving me standing all alone.
    'What the hell?' I muttered and then louder, 'Whatever! Go save a dolphin or something!'
     He whirled around. 'It's a whale, Alex, a whale! That's what I'm interested in saving.'
     I threw up my arms. 'What's wrong with saving dolphins?' "

     I love that there was a pronunciation guide in the beginning of the book. None of you  have heard me read things before, but I usually butcher words I have never seen before. I usually look at words upside down as if that is going to tell me how to pronounce it. 
     I love all the book covers from the Covenant series, they are all so beautiful and I want to have posters of all of them and hang them on my wall, they are so gorgeous. Plus, they do not have a cover change in the series, unlike the Lux series.
     I do not have too much to say about Daimon since it was a short novella but I really enjoyed it and I am excited to continue and finish the Covenant series.
~Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment