Tuesday, July 18, 2017

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

Summary: The rom-com that everyone’s talking about! Eleanor & Park meets Bollywood in this hilarious and heartfelt novel about two Indian-American teens whose parents conspire to arrange their marriage.

Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right?

Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself.

The Shahs and Patels didn’t mean to start turning the wheels on this “suggested arrangement” so early in their children’s lives, but when they noticed them both gravitate toward the same summer program, they figured, Why not?

Dimple and Rishi may think they have each other figured out. But when opposites clash, love works hard to prove itself in the most unexpected ways (Via Goodreads.com).

Pages: 378

Release Date: May 30th, 2017

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review:

When Dimple Met Rishi is the perfect Young Adult Contemporary novel for anytime of the year. It is one of the best YA debuts I have ever read and it is one of my favorite novels of the year. When Dimple Met Rishi features an adorable romance and two main characters that I would love to befriend in real life. When Dimple Met Rishi is a must-read YA contemporary novel for any YA lover.

Rishi is the most romantic male YA character I have ever encountered. He is constantly courting Dimple and thinking of adorable dates for the two of them to enjoy. He is an absolute sweetheart and I loved his dedication and appreciation for comics. Dimple was also a fantastic heroine. While I have yet to throw an iced coffee on anyone, I related to her determination and fierceness. I could also easily relate to her fear of the future and her unwillingness to give up her future for someone else. Together they made the perfect match.

I just recently returned home from Washington D.C. where I attended the Washington Journalism and Media Conference, a six-day journalism/media conference held at George Mason University. I had never attended a summer camp prior to WJMC. While I read When Dimple Met Rishi before leaving for the conference, I was able to fall more in love with the novel after my experience at WJMC.

I never thought you could fall in love with a person in a couple of months like Dimple and Rishi; however, I was able to fall in love with a group of people in six days at WJMC. I can never doubt characters ability to fall in love so fast because I truly made life-long friends at WJMC. If you can attend any summer camp that interests you, I highly recommend taking the chance. I was extremely nervous to be in a new city and new university with people I had never met, but it was one of the best experiences of my life. 

This was the first time I had read a book that featured Indian-American main characters. My only prior exposure to Indian culture was two years ago in school when we watched Bend It Like Beckham, which follows a British Indian main character, and the country of India was our topic of Academic Decathlon two years ago as well. However, AcaDec focused more on the history of the country, not the people and their culture. It was fascinating to learn more about Indian culture and I am glad that Sandhya is going to continue to publish stories featuring characters who lack representation in the publishing industry.  

When Dimple Met Rishi was an addictive and delectable YA contemporary novel that I could not get enough of. I am extremely excited for it's companion novel, When Ashish Met Sweetie, which follows Rishi's younger brother, Ashish. I am also excited for Sandhya's other YA contemporary novel From Twinkle, With Love. Sandhya's YA debut, When Dimple Met Rishi, was an absolute treat, I cannot wait to see where her stories take her. If you have yet to read When Dimple Met Rishi, I highly recommend doing so. 




No comments:

Post a Comment